Man Arrested after Several Victims Reported Him for Sexual Molestation in Utah

Former youth symphony leader Brent E. Taylor has admitted to engaging in sexual acts with a teenage boy approximately two decades ago. Taylor pleaded guilty to attempted forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony.

Following his recent arrest, he was taken into custody just as his jury trial was about to commence. The court had made it clear that the trial would proceed, regardless of his presence.

After nearly six years since the charges were first filed against him, there have been numerous delays, often caused by his health issues and failure to appear in court as required.

Charges have been filed against Taylor in two separate criminal cases, following an investigation by Deseret News. The investigation revealed that three former employees of the Utah Valley Youth Symphony have accused Taylor of either sexually abusing them or inappropriately touching them during their teenage years. Taylor, the executive director of the symphony, decided to retire in 2017 after an impressive 44-year tenure with the group.

An individual is facing allegations of inappropriate conduct involving a teenage musician in Utah County during the early 2000s, as well as allegations of abuse towards a former employee and another young boy in Sandy during the mid-1980s. Three additional individuals have come forward with allegations of abuse and lewd behavior against him.

Taylor’s criminal charges in Salt Lake County are still pending. The charges include two counts of sodomy on a child, a first-degree felony, and two counts of aggravated sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony.

Taylor, aged 76, entered a guilty plea on Tuesday as part of a plea agreement that resulted in his charge being changed from forcible sodomy to attempted forcible sodomy. He confessed to trying to engage in sexual acts with an individual over the age of 14 in either 2004 or 2005.

The trial for his case was set to take place this week. Attorneys had started the process of choosing jurors and had made preparations for providing instructions to the jurors in case Taylor was absent from the trial. They had also made arrangements regarding Taylor’s attire if he were to attend.

75-year-old Woman Facing 18 Child Sex Abuse Charges in Utah; Arrested after Victims Came Forward

In May, the judge made a ruling that the trial would move forward, regardless of Taylor’s presence. Both his attorneys and prosecutors claimed to have made attempts to find him, but were unsuccessful.

Despite repeatedly missing hearings, Taylor’s warrant was finally recalled on Tuesday when it was discovered that he had been arrested and booked into the Utah County Jail. The sentencing date has been set for August 28th as per KSL News.

In the autumn of 2023, Taylor consistently failed to attend virtual court hearings. According to his attorney, he faced difficulties attending virtual hearings independently following the passing of his nurse.

In a recent development, Judge Roger Griffin of the 4th District has concluded, based on medical reports, that Taylor has been exaggerating his health issues in an attempt to delay his case. As a result, the judge has issued an order for Taylor to surrender himself to the jail. During that period, Taylor resided in Colorado, but when charges were brought forth in 2018, he was living in Provo.

Parents Arrested after Boy, , Died from Severe Beating which caused Brain Injuries and Paralysis in California