Top 10 Global Risks for 2024
In 2024, the world is facing a variety of global risks. These risks are diverse, encompassing environmental, geopolitical, economic, societal, and technological challenges. Here’s an overview of the top 10 global risks for 2024:
- Extreme Weather: Ranked as the top risk by 66% of respondents in a World Economic Forum survey. Concerns about irreversible climate changes are heightened, with potential impacts on food systems and infrastructure.
- Misinformation and Disinformation: Identified as a significant threat that could undermine trust and deepen political divides, as well as disrupt global elections.
- Societal Polarization: Exacerbated by economic hardship and lack of economic opportunity, posing a risk to the global economy.
- Cost-of-Living Crisis: A societal issue that impacts the global economy, affecting a significant portion of the population.
- Cyberattacks: A technological risk with the potential to disrupt critical infrastructure and data security.
- Economic Downturn: A concern due to various factors, including geopolitical tensions and internal economic policies.
- Disrupted Supply Chains: For critical goods, resources, and food, causing economic challenges on a global scale.
- Escalation or Outbreak of Interstate Armed Conflict(s): Geopolitical tensions continue to be a concern, especially in areas like the Middle East and Ukraine.
- The Fight for Critical Minerals: As the world transitions away from fossil fuels, competition for critical minerals necessary for new technologies becomes a geopolitical and economic concern.
- No China Recovery: The lack of significant economic recovery in China due to political choices emphasizing national security and political stability over economic growth.
Additional Significant Risks:
- Trump 2.0: The possibility of Donald Trump’s re-election in 2024 poses risks to U.S. democracy and international stability. His policies could include revoking U.S. climate pledges, ending aid to Ukraine, and renegotiating international agreements.
- Stalemate in Ukraine: Continuation of the war in Ukraine without significant breakthroughs, leading to further geopolitical instability.
These risks highlight the complexity and interconnectedness of challenges facing the world in 2024. Addressing these risks requires global cooperation and a multifaceted approach.