The Story Behind This Haunted Hotel in Pennsylvania is Terrifying
Not only does Pennsylvania have a lot of history and culture, but it also has a lot of ghostly activity. Pennsylvania is full of scary places, but the Farnsworth House Inn in Gettysburg is one of the most well-known. During the Civil War, this hotel was a stronghold for the Confederacy and saw some of the bloodiest fights of the war. These days, a lot of ghost hunters and history buffs like to go there in the hopes of seeing the restless spirits that still roam the halls.
The Farnsworth House Inn’s History
A rich businessman and politician named John McFarland built the Farnsworth House Inn in 1810.Battle of Gettysburg hero Brigadier General Elon John Farnsworth was the name of the house. He died in that battle in 1863. The McFarland family lived in the house until 1861, when the Civil War started.
The house was used by Confederate sharpshooters as a base during the war. They would shoot at Union men from the windows. The house was behind Confederate lines and had a good view of Cemetery Hill, which was where the Union army’s offices were located. The house was also close to the site of Pickett’s Charge, the last attack by the Confederate army on July 3, 1863, which killed many people.
During the war, the house was full of bullet holes, and you can still see some of them in the walls today. Heavy artillery fire and a cannonball that went through the roof and fell in the attic also did damage to the house. There were terrible things going on in the war and many men died on both sides.
There are ghosts in the Farnsworth House Inn
The house was bought and sold several times after the war. In 1972, it was turned into a hotel. Since then, there have been many accounts of ghostly activity at the hotel, ranging from mild to scary. Here are some of the most common experiences:
- It’s especially scary at night to hear footsteps, whispers, gunshots, and cannon fire.
- Seeing soldiers, women, children, and animals as ghosts inside and outside the house.
- It feels like someone or something is trying to get your attention by giving you cold spots, breezes, touches, and tugs.
- The house smells like it’s still alive with the smells of smoke, perfume, food, and blood.
- Moving things like coins, jewelry, books, and toys around or making them appear or disappear out of nowhere.
- Witnessing electrical failures, such as lights flickering, TVs turning on and off, and phones ringing with no one on the other end.
The following rooms are some of the scariest in the hotel:
- People have seen a woman in a white dress sitting on the bed in the McFarland Room and heard a baby crying in the closet.
- In the Sarah Black Room, people have felt like someone was watching them from the corner and heard a woman humming a song.
- People have seen a soldier in a gray outfit in the Eisenhower Room. The soldier will sometimes talk to them or salute them.
- A loud bang woke people up in the Jeremy Room, where they saw a young boy running across the room.
- There is a scary dark figure in the Garret Room that has made guests feel like they have a heavy weight on their chest.
It’s not for the faint of heart to stay at the Farnsworth House Inn. It’s for people who want to be scared and learn about history. The hotel has themed events like murder mysteries and Civil War reenactments, as well as ghost trips and investigations into the paranormal. The hotel has a museum, a restaurant, a tavern, a gift shop, and a guest house that people can visit to learn more about its past and ghosts. There is nothing else like staying at the Farnsworth House Inn. It will give you chills and memories that will last a lifetime.