After Joe Biden whiffed with Hispanic voters in some states, Democrats are urging the president-elect to appoint a number of Latinos to high-profile Cupboard positions.
Amongst these in rivalry: California Legal professional Basic Xavier Becerra for Homeland Safety, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham for Well being and Human Companies, and Rep. Filemon Vela for Commerce or Transportation.
- Becerra and Grisham have quietly conveyed their curiosity to Biden’s crew.
The place it stands: Biden plans to roll out his senior White Home employees first, doubtlessly beginning this week, after which announce a few of his Cupboard later this month or subsequent. Hispanic appointments may assist win again a demographic wanted to keep up Home management within the 2022 midterms.
- Biden needs the Cupboard to “seem like America,” and a few of his confidants are predicting it will likely be greater than half feminine. They consider the large 4 positions — Justice, State, Protection and Treasury — may all go to ladies.
- Whereas Biden’s West Wing can have older white males who’re longtime advisers — Ron Klain, Steve Ricchetti and Mike Donilon — anticipate range across the Oval Workplace, too.
Biden got here to rely on Rep. Cedric Richmond, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, for his political antenna. He is leaning towards bringing Richmond contained in the White Home as a senior adviser, as a substitute of the Cupboard.
Flashback: The CBC has signaled to Biden that African Individuals expect “nontraditional” Cupboard posts, with some focusing on Treasury secretary.
- They’re gathering lists of names and funneling them to the transition by way of Richmond and Rep. Jim Clyburn, whose endorsement sealed Biden’s main victory in South Carolina.
- Amongst their high candidates is Rep. Marcia Fudge from Ohio for Agriculture secretary.